This recipe is inspired by a traditional Southern cornbread dressing. Southerners often repurpose their day-old cornbread by adding sausage, onions and spices to make a tasty stuffing to accompany a holiday meal. Amy’s makes a delicious meatless veggie sausage that can be spiced and crumbled to emulate that signature holiday stuffing flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and lightly grease a 9”x13” baking dish.
- Place cornbread (broken into chunks) into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat Amy’s Meatless Veggie Sausages in a lightly oiled skillet. Break up sausages with a wooden spoon and continue to cook over medium-high heat until evenly browned.
- Remove from skillet and add to cornbread.
- Using the same skillet, melt butter and cook celery and onion over medium heat until golden brown. Add sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Gently fold into cornbread mixture.
- Add parsley and apples to cornbread mixture. Mix gently.
- Evenly distribute enough broth over cornbread mixture to moisten thoroughly. Spoon mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until top is toasted and golden brown, about 35-40 minutes.
Feel free to use your own favorite cornbread recipe. To make it easier on yourself on the day of the big feast, prepare this dish a day in advance and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake. If you’d like to use Amy’s California Burger instead, you can crumble two patties, add ½ tsp of allspice and ½ tsp of nutmeg.